Have you ever had hard time to understand what does this variable/function/class does in this code? Did your program ever break because the class/function you are using, is returning unexpected results? I have been there (With my own code 😅 ).
Nothing is more frustrating than spending 15 minutes to debug the problem and later you find out that the function/variable is returning unexpected value. In this blog, we will look into how to name your variables, classes or functions in a way that it reveals the true intention of what it does.
For past couple months, I have been working on a personal website which uses several different technologies that I never used before. Why I chose them is a different story but while I was using them in my project, I realized something. I noticed that even though I have watched tutorial twice for a library, I still have to refer to the official documentation for same thing, again and again! In this post, I will breakdown my problem and how I am trying to overcome it.
When I observed my learning method, I noticed that I was never learning any…
In 2020, if you are looking through some complicated front-end projects, It is pretty easy to see some kind of CSS pre-processor. I personally prefer to use SCSS among these pre-processors. At first I used to just drop some files in
scss folder but when I started working on bit complicated projects, I faces problems where I was not able to maintain my CSS/SCSS code. Please note that My folder structure is heavily inspired from Jesse Showalter's video - Front-End Architecture. So, let's find out how I fixed my problem!
During last month (April 2020), I started #100DaysOfDesign challenge where I was planning to work on at least some design and complete more projects in small amount of time. But from last two weeks, I have stopped this challenge. Someone might say that I am giving excuses because I was not able to maintain the challenge and yeah at some point it is true. I accept that at some point I failed to maintain this challenge but there are other reasons as well.
From last couple days, I am very busy in my Co-Op internship as I had quite odd timings or I had some important work to do in home. Because of these reasons, I was not able to give more time to designing. That’s why yesterday I was only able to complete the main page of the website. I have bit busy schedule with family, so even today, I did not get extra time to work on the design. Yet for both days, I contributed 45 ~ 50 minutes to the design or design related work.
Another day with another API project for this challenge. I personally like working with APIs, yeah sometimes it get frustrating if API does not have proper documentation but at the end you can create something cool with that data! And what is more interesting than GIFs? That’s why I chose that API for today’s project.
Whenever you plan to work with APIs, you need to research about that API before you start working on it. You need to know what that API provides and how can you use it in your project. This process can give you rough idea of…
Did you ever wanted to share some important data to someone but you do not want to leave traces in social media platforms so that this information does not get leaked? I faced this issue many time and that is why I got and idea to create this website. It is also inspired from my work place, where we face this issue as well. We use similar tool as today’s website.
I wanted to keep it very simple for users. Because of that reason I chose to go with desktop only design in the website. But, today I have designed…
Today, it was time to complete the design for GitHub Timeliner website. I already completed the user page yesterday, so I did not need to think too much about the layouts for other pages. Although I did make a change to yesterday’s design and it was to change the button text from “All Repos” to “View Repos”.This way it sounds more like a button rather than a normal text.
I started the today’s design with the repository page. I just copied the user page and started making the required changes. Again, I was not sure which details I get from…
Today, I started working on converting wireframe into final design. I wanted to design this website better than my previous websites. I am planning to use proper colour themes and proper grid layout in the project.
I started the design phase from Adobe Colour website for colour inspiration. I tried different colour plattets from “Explore” tab, and at the end I decided to go this blue and orange colours for my project. Once I was done with that, I started designing website from the wireframe.
When I started designing the search element of the page, it got a bit complecated…
From today, I am starting to design bit more complex websites which will take more than one day to be completed (because of my Co-Op schedule). I am working with a cool idea I found from App-Ideas repo on GitHub. I will be making a website that can show a timeline of particular user or user’s public repository.
I spent my most of today’s time in the discovery phase. I have not used GitHub API yet so I was not sure what and how we get data from server. I needed to do some research on this before I start…